Friday, November 4, 2011

Coming in from the cold - Part 1

Having escaped from our former prison we saddled up on our ungraffitied bike and headed north into Austria for what was intended to be a couple days sandwiched either side of a visit of southern Czech Republic. Hallstadt was the place that was chosen from the map and a quick google search confirmed a beautiful lake and mountain area of the type that belongs on the front of a Christmas card. Due to yet more fairly long distance we joined the toll road but this time there seemed to be charges for using the big tunnels. Somewhat unfairly I felt as motorcycles were charged the same as any sized car which seems a bit cheeky on top of the fact that I bet that I’d already paid towards such a project through the old 'Subsidised by the European Union' sign that precede such things. It wasn’t cheap either and after it seemed like I’d spent more time with my hand in my pocket rather than on Soul’s handgrip I decided that enough was enough and turned off just as another toll loomed and set the GPS for 'avoid tolls.' What my GPS couldn’t do however, was manage to avoid a route that made me pay to leave the motorway which I ended up having to! Worse was to come though as what ended up being all of about 20km passing either side and under the expensive motorway eventually took me back onto it as seemingly there was no other option to get around the mountains that stood in our way. So another €5 was coughed up and we sped towards what is now becoming a very cold ride. Hallstadt though was a nice little find and despite the rain, mist and cold was just the sort of place to find a B&B, get clean, cosy and enjoy what is undoubtedly a slightly higher standard of food and drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment