Saturday, May 28, 2016

Thoughts Of Home

Finally away from Ketama we headed back towards Cueta for the boat crossing back to mainland Europe. More sore riding on the bumpy roads for me even with the suspension softened to the max, meant it couldn't come soon enough. With hindsight maybe those that question why on earth me and others that do this have a point. I mean, two weeks of my yearly holiday to pay good money to take what is already a highly dangerous hobby to an even higher dangerous level.
I guess once is enough to be taken outside of your comfort zone. It's full on, chaotic, dirty, unfamiliar and uncomfortable. It's only another 30km from southern Spain but it feels like another world. As before, I tend to set a goal of getting back to mainland Europe in one piece with all possessions and then start to count down the kilometres and days until home. It's a bit of a shame really as there's plenty of good riding ahead but no matter what that's how it is yet again. Getting out of Morocco and into Cueta via the border wasn't helped probably by Angela Merkel's open invite to anybody that fancies upping sticks and coming to Europe where you'll be welcomed with a Fair Trade organic carrot juice and soft fluffy pillows. Fortunately the Spanish border officials noticed Dev waving his passport above the scrum and ushered us through before our bikes were stripped like a whole chicken in a lake of piranhas.
Europe!! Unlike the trip southwards though we're finally camping again. With a big hole in my inner door mesh my fly sheet is on and we're in €10 a night territory at various campsites. Dev particularly enjoys camping whilst camping obviously... Firstly near Tarifa, now in Ciudad Rodrigo and tomorrow (all being well) in Leon, that should do us until we board in Santander and get back home.
The western side of inner Spain appears prettier than the eastern inner side, perhaps helped by using many of the green scenic routes on the Michelin map. So with my back finally getting some respite from the relentless Moroccan roads it's now my ears turn for pain what with my bloody awful again helmet along these fast roads. It's going straight on the bonfire next week. I really should get round to changing the blog title to Ian's MRTW trip (Moaning Round The World). Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment