Thursday, July 16, 2009

Learning how to handle vodka but NOT a world champion wrestler!




This is more like it! The loon/gem or just plain crazy Paulo Brand set me up with his mate Utkur in Samarkant, Uz. After a litle nap Utkur showed up to show me around. Initially he assumed that I wanted to visit this site and that statue but after explaining what I really wanted to see (life) off we went. Firstly to a restaurent for locals, which was pretty much in someone's back garden, then coffee, a quick meeting with Utkur's lovely family and then onto his friends stag do. I learned so much about life here for these guys and was made to feel most welcome by all. All the guys are friends from early school and were 24 which is the most common age for an arranged marriage. Much laughter, vodka toasts and photos later I was aware that a world champion wrestler (74kg division) was part of the group. Proof was offered and seen on a mobile phone video of him nailing a competitor at the world championships in Russia. So being the same weight and fuelled with half a dozen large vodkas I fancied a shot at the champ! So a very short time later I was slightly outclassed(!?) despite me being the Middlesex judu champ when I was 12. The referee did however, spot an infringement and I was awarded the win on a technicality...Cue mass laughter all round! A top night with a top bunch of guys.

2 comments:

  1. Now thats what im talking about.. nice work Paulo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was on skype with Laura, Guy and Amelie. They send their love. Read what you've put down. Well done. Fantastic! We're thinking about you and your travels. Take care. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete