Thursday, July 2, 2009

Erzerum, Turkey


Where? Well, it's eastern Turkey about 150km from Iran and 200km from Iraq. It's as about as close as I'll get to either in terms of distance and it's people. Very Islamic people, difficult to find a beer anywhere and even my search for some new deodrant took 45mins, I had to settle for a roll on called 'She.' Not sure if that last bit is anything to do with them being Islamic though?
Anyway, after the sunrise the lights went green and I was off...Long long empty roads that went straight to the horizon, they really were like those pictures you see of long distance adventure travel. Riding on my own is quicker than in a group plus with the extraordinary fuel range of my Tenere (I reckon 300m+ is achievable) I raced into Erzerum. I actually got there an hour before the next bike took second place. The hotel had been changed and the gps coordinates were not correct so I stopped nearby to ask for directions at a taxi rank. These taxi drivers (OK, not the one on the right!) were so friendly and insisted that I sat and had tea with them, a common pastime in this part of the world. My Turkish was as much as their English but no matter we had a bit of a laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment