Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Man On The Run

“Your days of finger banging, Mary Jane Rottencrotch through her pretty pink panties...ARE OVER!” Some of you will I’m sure know Full Metal Jacket's Drill Sergeant Hartman’s words well but even if you don’t I’m sure that you get his drift. Well, not that I’ve been doing any “finger banging” you understand of course but just like those fresh army recruits it appears that my easy days are well and truly over. Despite the pretty pictures that get posted on here this is bloody hard work and far from a jolly. The hardships that need to be endured as I progress are plentiful. In order to give myself even a chance of finishing in North America extreme measures are needed. The ride to Belem from Buzios is only twenty seven words in this sentence but is actually over 3,200kms coast to coast across the world’s fifth largest country. Now 2/5’s of the way there this is just the beginning of my problems. A chance meeting with a Brazilian couple Carlos and Ella revealed that the boat trip with Des up the Amazon may not be quite so straight forward as originally thought as due to a rule change the bike can only be kept on deck. Which is apparently illegal and so a bent Captain will need to be sourced. I have though gained some useful information on the road ahead and some contacts that could prove invaluable in the coming weeks. My two day ride took me to firstly Ouro Preto which is an old colonial town. A quaint, old and cobbled street town in the hills, it’s a nice place but every one of those 63km’s out of the way seemed like rain on a drowning man. Next up was a long ride up to Cristalina where the first of Carlos’ contacts was available. “Who?” is what the man in the tyre place seemed to ask when I asked for him as instructed...oh dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment