Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Why am I doing this..?

...Some of you may well think as you read my story between sipping your Châteauneuf-du-Pape while I sit here partially dehydrated, shattered and alone in a strange town (mustn’t think that as I’m the strange outsider here). Why indeed..? Well it may just be that the onset has already begun for you but if not then just a gentle reminder this trip is being attempted in aid of Dementia UK. So far despite covering half of the target figure myself, the lack of many further donations is nothing short of embarrassing. I really hoped that I wouldn’t have to beg like this but again, please if you can support this very worthwhile charity by clicking here or on my link on the right to donate. Don’t forget, with my clever little ‘Revolver Map’ I can now see exactly where you are...
Right then back to business...Days for me are up and down, though mostly down on this trip if truth be told. Two recent major blows have been lost earphones (custom ACS ones, not cheap) and my phone. So no more listening to Major Watts’ superb GTRadio on the go, which is particularly annoying as after 50,000 odd miles onboard Des I’ve finally sorted out the wind noise/turbulence issue! This was my only complaint about him and just as the three of us split way down south I gave BJ back my standard screen which he had been using and then over the following days I took two large chunks off my Givi touring screen. The result...almost perfection! It’s transformed the ride and although I now have to ride visor down my ears are saved. Or they are until I’m back in the Ministry for one of their wonderful ‘Gallery’ nights anyway. Days three and four of the five day blast north have been long, tiring, dry, hot and not exactly safe. Not too much to report really other than as I race to the equator it’s become noticeable how the sun is now almost passing directly over me, which is much easier for my helmet peak (now correctly fitted) to deal with.
Two forgettable stops in Gurupi and Goverador Edison Lobão were just places to clean up, eat and sleep. Seems like there’ll be many more like this...

No comments:

Post a Comment