Tuesday, September 20, 2011

France – From top to bottom

All packed up and fully prepared (I think) we headed off at 5am for Dover. Still going with my old Hein Gericke summer riding gear (and Mirka in her same but new) an early morning British summer ride was not at all what I’d hoped for as an indicated 8°C proved that so far at least Soul’s electrics are working just fine. Also not helped was my now OCD like search for quiet riding resulting in me chopping down Soul’s screen as I finally did to Des’. The end result was little difference in noise and a load of new wind blast on what’s now virtually a naked motorcycle. As the saying goes...an extra inch would be nice! For anyone that is interested though I’ve found that my new Schuberth S1 Pro helmet has helped dramatically with reducing the wind noise.
So a cold windy ride into Paris was completed and after difficulties in finding cheap accommodation I had to cough up (with blood) an amount that I don’t want to think about for the first night. I should say at this point that I don’t want this trip to become a ‘wish you were here’ postcard but I feel I may struggle a little as this is definitely not anything like most of my adventures, particularly with Mick through Africa last year. So if you have just stumbled upon this and have seen my ‘Dementia’ sponsorship link then please bear in mind that this was intended for my earlier trip this year. Trying to raise sponsorship for this would be taking the gypsies I know. That said though please feel free to add to my still way short total if you feel inclined to do so.
Anyhow, visits up the Eiffel Tour, down the Louvre and around the Orsay Museum filled the time in Paris before another typically boring ride along the French toll roads to Lyon, via Dijon. Both lovely places and seemingly light on tourists it’s nice to finally get into the whole French way i.e. the food, the surroundings and the general feel of the place. The French often get a kicking back home but I don’t get it; they’ve got it pretty good here.
Well, as long as you don't live in Marseilles that is! Not shocking of course but pretty grimy all the same. We found €45 one star (from who is anybodies guess) hotel and although the room was not listed as a dorm technically it was as it was shared with a few of my old mosquitoe friends who happily helped themselves throughout the night whilst outside what seemed like a riot or party continued in the streets until first light! It was fully expected though as for planning and assistance we’re using the excellent ‘Rough Guides – Europe’ book. There’s plenty of stuff in there about Marseilles but basically think Slough with a port and a fort. Things along the coast east from here will be a bit more upmarket without doubt...

No comments:

Post a Comment