Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Trip number four...Europe

My lack of a proper sign off from Columbia and a lost camera were clues enough that I was pleased to be home after what ended up being a bit of a disjointed trip around South America. I quickly got bored though and made plans for trip number four. It’s funny, thinking back to when I met Lisa and Scott Thomas in Ulan Ude in Russia during 2009, discussing their six year journey and looking at their world map. Although enjoying myself thus far I wasn’t all that mad about much more than getting home safely. “Just wait and see” they told me...and now here I am with a fair bit of red on my own little world map and back on the road once again. This time though with a difference or three...
Number one is the continent, this time much closer to home...Europe. What looks a bit like a six week holiday, the route should be just what I have been dreaming about during all those times riding through the back of beyond. The basic route is to Greece via Italy and then back home through the Balkans, East and Central Europe and then home for some snow if I read today’s newspaper headline correct?!
Number two is a big one in that I’m carrying a pillion in my long suffering partner Mirka. I’m happy to admit that the last couple of years of my navigating have not exactly been conducive to maintaining a ‘normal’ relationship and so simply put its agreed that this could be either one thing or another. I guess we’ll have to wait and see then...
Number three and finally is that my trusty old Des will be rested at home for this one. Missing an exhaust baffle and still looking like he’s been mud wrestling with the Terminator, his lack of manners would probably see us refused entry into some of the posh places on the list. More importantly though, although he’s finally nice to ride with his cut down screen, I reckoned that ‘two up’ may have been a bit of an ask for him after all that’s gone before and so at home he rests for another day... So better fire up the old K100RS then..? Well no actually, as a weekend ride to Wales highlighted that he too wasn’t all that comfortable ‘two up’ and I’d bought the wrong model. The K100’RT’ was the one I should have got, fully set up for what I need!! After some head scratching I made the (very sensible) decision to sell all three of my bikes and do what I probably should have done ages ago and get one that’s all three in one, namely a Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom. So money in hand off I went to view one in a bike dealers. All seemed fine until that moment came when I reached into the glass bowl for the keys... Now then, not that I’ve been to any of those parties but a bit like being able to see under your blindfold before making your ‘car key’ selection surely any opportunity to pick up ‘Roger’s’ SAAB keys in order to erm, enjoy his Italian wife’s company for an hour or so has to be taken?!? Especially after all those minutes (OK hours) previously spent peeking through the curtains as she sets off for a run/sunbathes/unloads the car boot. A bit long winded and maybe a little too creepy I concede but what exactly have I done then? Well, my head was turned as parked right next to said V-Strom was...*Deep Breath* A Moto Guzzi Breva V1200! Have I lost the plot? When will it breakdown? A Roadster, that’s one step away from a Harley Davidson isn’t it?? I still don’t know. But what I do know is that this machine has been aptly named ‘Soul’ by Mirka as it has it in abundance. Again, let’s just wait and see how motorcycle number four gets along...

Oh yeah, let's just forget about the 'sensible' bit from earlier shall we..?

No comments:

Post a Comment