Sunday, March 28, 2010

Agadair (dair dair, push pineapple, shake the tree)

The previous night in Rabat I was out like a light at 8pm hoping to wake nice and early for that done deal that was a 9.15am ‘chocs away.’ Here we go...but after waking up at 8.15am (?!) and then a further two hours of dicking about with everything I finally hit the road at 10.15am. I was disappointed with myself as Mick had given me some campsite locations further afield and not knowing the road and riding conditions along with not having the wonderful road mapping anymore on my GPS (instead just a distance by straight line and some roads that I never seem to be on) mean that I’m never quite sure what’s achievable in a day. The first half of the day continued along the same newly laid perfect tarmac that I’ve pretty much ridden since I entered Morocco but this eventually turned into a regular bumpy road through towns and villages with some corners! This was more interesting to ride but at the same time more dangerous and of course slower. I pressed on though, only stopping for fuel/snacks/drinks and made good progress all things considered. The visibility now doesn’t seem to be much more than mile or so due to what appears to be a constant low dust cloud. Also the air is getting much drier, with each breath it dries out your nose/mouth. That’s not all that’s changing, so to is the terrain which is a mixture of semi desert and then deep red mountainous tree filled regions. Tourists aren’t to be found except for the odd French registered car.6pm was decision time as I approached Agadair with 606 km still showing on the GPS for the next campsite I sensibly looked for a suitable place to stop. Now as many of my friends would testify I’m sure, I like a pound note but having found a nice clean motel offering everything that comes with it for 187 Dinar (£15) my hand was in my pocket. You see, I would happily pay someone £15 to erect my tent and pack all my stuff up in the morning so this was an easy decision, not to mention the time saving. Laundry and me washed  and assisted by the very helpful receptionist, I headed to a nearby restaurant for a proper meal, the first since I left the UK actually. And what a meal! They must have thought I was American as I did over order somewhat. The tuna salad starter would’ve been enough alone without the fish platter, chips and bread but thankfully I was joined by a cat who happily helped me out to spare my blushes! That’s about it for the day although I do have some thoughts about this place. With Mick waiting for me in Gambia I am moving along quickly and I did think that was fine as the Saharan ‘Arab Africa’ wouldn’t be as interesting as ‘Black Africa’ but now I am regretting the pace slightly. The similarities with Turkey continue and with Turkey being my favourite country of all, I like it here. The people are fantastically friendly and it feels very safe. My only regret and it is a big one, is not brushing up on my French before I left, for what looks like the spoken language for most of the trip. Yesterday though, I did buy a French/English micro dictionary and I’m trying as much as I can which of course goes down very well with the locals who seem to find it odd/amusing that I can’t speak their language.
D’accord. Apres moi petite dejourne a wuit heur deman matin, je allez!
Ps If you understood the ‘pineapple’ gag, then like me, you are officially old. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment