Sunday, March 28, 2010

Getting a sweat on in Rabat


It’s no longer cold. Although last night was still a bit nippy the days from here on in are going to see me chugging some serious amounts of water.
I had a day off the bike as visa applications were made. First up was the Mauritanian visa. Application in at 9.30am, collected at 3pm. As a bonus I’d already found the Mali embassy which was nearby and somehow managed to get that one immediately after, just before they closed! Result. However...for a long reason my second passport isn’t with me and it hasn’t arrived at home! The reason, the UKPA say, is they require further information and as I’m a sole director blah blah blah. This is very bad news. After today I’ve only two blank pages left in my passport which by my reckoning will get me about as far as Nigeria at the most and unable to continue. Plus plenty of other messes that I just don’t want to think about. After a couple of calls to the UKPA and my friend and accountant Sarit, HOPEFULLY, (I’m not religious but I’ll pretend if it helps) he’ll be able to ‘create’ what they require from me which will allow said passport to land in my hallway and then be whiskey off by DHL to somewhere where I can at last have it in my hands!!
As a distraction to all this and while waiting for the two visas today I explored Rabat by daylight and...it’s actually very nice. It’s pretty clean, with plenty of French colonial buildings, the people are very nice and the place has a Turkish feel about it. It’s maybe nicer than Spain actually.
I can’t help but think of most of the Spanish as a bit skanky, if you know what I mean? Having said all that, I haven’t had a shower for three days now and I reckon that I’m still not even half way from the next one. There are no facilities here at what is essentially a piece of waste ground that you’d expect the only guests to be the odd burnt out car. There is a tap somewhere so maybe later I could take a sort of wash. I was contemplating going ‘tackle out’ as no one’s around but within the last hour a dozen Germans and Austrians have just er, invaded. So I guess washing that way is now de rigour...
Early night planned as I prepare to continue heading south through Morocco tomorrow at 8am sharp. OK OK how about 9.15am for cash? Done!
Bon soir.

No comments:

Post a Comment