Monday, March 29, 2010

The Sahara – Dakhla


Day two of the three day Saharan crossing then started a little oddly with me dreaming that everyone on our little campsite was murdered except for me and Jordan who was also staying there too (but alas not with me) as it so happened. After that little episode I kept getting woken up by a goat that had parked itself up for the night next to my tent and continued to either sneeze of fart. I’m not exactly sure which it was as it was downwind of the tent. As you may have guessed from this drivel, I’m struggling to fill the page today. Again it was another tough day in the heat and the constantly strong head wind. I covered about 500km but it was slow going, mostly cruising at 100-105km (a true 55mph) as any more was just torture on my next and ears. I was going to use a scenario whereby you’re at work and someone’s constantly pressing against the side of your head with their foot, while the most uncomfortable wind and growling sound is played for 8hrs while you sit in the same sort of crouch position on a little chair, whilst the room’s air con is blasting out 40 degrees worth at full fan speed. But then I again most of you are at work while I’m not, therefore I guess me looking for sympathy is a bit of a waste of time as this was my decision and all that.
Tonight’s campsite is next to the beach in Dakhla. Very picturesque, a sort of wind surfers place. Better than the first campsite down the road that I saw where basically the old fat bloke there wanted 300 Dinar (£3) for me to pitch up the tent a car park?!
Looking at the map, I’m now starting to close in on Mick who by all accounts isn’t in any hurry as by the sounds of it he’s just sunning himself whilst knocking back cold beers in the Gambia. I reckon on three days to join him in what sounds like paradise, although there are three border crossings along the way so probably four days, I suppose we’ll just have to wait and see...
Next stop, if all goes to plan, is to take up ‘Mohammed’s’ kind offer of assistance in Mauritania...

No comments:

Post a Comment