Sunday, March 28, 2010

Boat, Bilbao, Brrrr and Bed


The thirty six hours onboard ‘The Pride Of Bilbao’ were spent mostly the following: Two hours in the ‘International food court’ which served up, quite frankly shocking fare, sixteen hours in my cabin wondering how to lose a bit of luggage weight (which included throwing away a pile of medicines that I picked up in Russia and had absolutely no idea what they were for and of course my home laptop’s power lead that I decided to pack?!) whilst generally avoiding the grotesque English,Welsh and Scousers. And finally about eighteen hours sleep. No, Make that seventeen as I was woken by someone banging at 2am. Yes that type.

Bilbao then. Freezing fog, along with riding immediately up into the mountains and seemingly staying at altitude all the way to the southern coastline meant for a very cold and damp day. I managed as far as ‘Santa Elena’ which was a small village due east of Cordoba which I reckon was about 420 miles from the top. Not too bad really considering the conditions. I had a few issues camping though, the first being that I couldn’t get my stove to work for about 45 minutes and the second was that it felt like below zero and as a result my ‘three season’ sleeping bag and ALL of my clothes weren’t enough to stop me getting into a bit of a state through the cold. I eventually lost feeling in my feet and in the morning not only had my toothpaste nearly frozen but my toes had frozen together! Not a good start but then I guess it will warm up a bit...

No comments:

Post a Comment