Monday, June 29, 2009

Surprising Bulgaria

First thing in the morning I confirmed with Jack my Iranain intentions. I was informed that the only problem could be actually getting into Turkmentistan as things required would be another visa (quickly), a separate guide (secret police) costing about $350 US and of course ensuring that I'm not delayed and can meet the group and stick to my onward visa deadlines. Anyway, on the way into VT (as it's known) I was informed that Iran was not possible due to me having a 'group visa.' I have a plan b though...

Anyway, Bulgaria. A pleasant surprise! The country looks a bit run down after all those years behind the iron curtain but also feels like it's growing. It also has loads of the most wonderful 'soviet symbols' everywhere including the two in the picture at altitute which are just staggering. Stayed in a very posh hotel in a nice little place called VT (for short) and as ashamed as I am to admit it ended up in 'The George' English pub. Had cottage pie, nice, and a drop of red but was shattered and needed sleep asap. Soon woke up though and went exploring on my own for further entertainment...Not much about though in the town and so ended up back in the George and spent until 3-4? drinking with the owner, a sort of younger 'Ron Jeremy' (google it girls) who was a bit of a legend, his barmaid Eve, an ex pat Howard, Mackam Paul and his missus Elle, who were looking around for a place to buy. A decent night all in all, but no photos! I left my camera in my room. Shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment