Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Goodbye Mongolia, it's back to Russia for me...



So that was Mongolia then. If I'm honest, for me it was a bit of a let down. Not as remote as you might think as along the 'remote' northern route we took, signs of humans were fairly frequent with telegraph/power lines, bikes/cars, settlements, cattle and other adventure travellers. The guys out in the country appeared to be permanently drunk on vodka and were just annoying but at least the kids still waved. As for the capital, great clubs with my beloved trance music but apart from that, plently of attitude from all and just all a bit desperate really. The only place I've ever been where I've not felt entirely safe. So, north again and after a better than expected six hour border crossing which included me uploading some trance onto a soldier's mp3 player (always nice to spread the gospal according to St. Markus) and taking a Russian club tune from him that I keep hearing on my travels, I was back into Russia. Me and BJ were the last to be stamped and after a quick meal we headed off on the road to Ulan Ude. Enroute we took a little detour to an iffy lake next to a power staion (Erin Brokovic anyone?) for a dip. We then rode to the hotel and the following rest day allowed me the time to service my bike, which despite my early fears is proving to be very strong and reliable. It needs a new front wheel though due to some serious rocks and potholes that we've smashed into. Ulan Ude, so so. Met a Swedish/Mongolian R6 rider named Sean who twisted my arm into going out drinking with him and his Russian mate Vova in a rubbish club until 3. Which we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment