Sunday, August 9, 2009

Trying to aviod certain death en route to Ulaan Bataar




After a quite frankly scarey first day of the 1600km off road ride to UB the word for day two was 'steady.' And steady it was with some chill out music on the go, I made camp incident free!
Day three- With hindsight the word for this day was 'dangerous' with my confidence and skill level much higher I got involved with Grant yet again, racing across the sandy plains at speeds approaching 80mph! The day ended with a 20km banzai duel that I only just got beaten to the finish by Grant. Again Des is suited to this type of terrain and he seemed to enjoy it, not sure about me though!
Day four- 'progress' munched the miles today despite a naughty back tyre deciding it didn't want to follow the front any more and I got thrown off without any notice! Muddied and a bit bruised the slog continued and on day five I made UB a day early with a few others from the group who had had enough of being dirty and waking at 6.
And what of the off road hobby? I don't think so. Give me a nice sports touring bike, a beautiful girl on the back and a week in France anyday...

No comments:

Post a Comment