Saturday, August 29, 2009

Seoul






OK then, Seoul. I've been here for about five days now and am due onboard a Seattle bound plane fairly soon so time for a catch up...
I finished messing about on the golf course with the other three and actually played quite well which was a surprise seeing as I haven't played for ages. I then headed off on a two day ride to Seoul riding alone along the best roads since the journey began. The first 100k was not all that but suddenly after heading inland and climbing a mountain the terrain and scenery turned just stunning. I stopped for a swim in a lovely mountain lake and once dried off I rode the last 60k (or so I thought) racing against the clock as it gets dark so early here. This 60k turned into more like 100k as the roads were so so twisty. Just so great to ride along these never ending mountain passes on perfect roads with little other traffic to ASOT407. Oh yeah.
Second day in then and much as before with the first 100k or so less like the day before. Nice and steady but not that interesting. I gained a riding companion though for the last 70k as after giving my bike a handful and overtaking a little 250cc looking bike the guy on the bike wanted to play! He caught up and for a good 10k we 'made progress.' At times it was a bit of a struggle and it was only when he stopped to say hi that I realised why. The bike he was on was an MZ660 Supermoto! Basically it's a lightweight sort of stunt bike with the exact engine of mine. What with my luggage, the size of my bike and me we were probably giving away close to 100kg! Anyway, again there was no language understanding but my new friend bought us lunch and we rode 'Korean style' through Seoul's suburbs and into the center. 'Korean style' riding by the way involves the following - high speed, jumping red lights, constant lane changing and undertaking, even taking the pavement sometimes! Highly dangerous but absolutely exhilarating at the same time.
Seoul's a great place. Everything works, is clean, safe, London sized and buzzing. Particularly in the Incheon district which is home to a US army base. Took a day trip to the North/South Demilitarized zone, known as the 'DMZ.' This was both interesting and disappointing in equal measures. Not much to see and loads of propagander sums it up. Back in Soeul's Incheon distric by night, it looks just like in the films 'Full Metal Jacket' and other such films. Although after two nights there it was enough. Didn't find my trance though as I opted to stick with 'Tims Tour' who were on good form!
Next stop the good ol' US of A. Yes siree.

No comments:

Post a Comment