Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Trans Siberian Highway, Day 1


The instruction for the group was a 08:30 departure in order to arrive 450km away in a mosquito infested field mid afternoon with nothing to do but sit around and get attacked by the most vicious things ever. Naturally, I rolled out of the hotel at 08:45 not quite ready which was enough to see the support truck and tour leader head off, with the promise that I'll catch them up. Which I did, seven hours later! This was due to me meeting and sharing breakfast with two fellow UK travellers, Simon and Lisa Thomas. These two have been travelling around the world for six and a half years with no plans to head back. They're journalists/photographers and very interesting people. It makes my ride seem like a trip down the road to the chippy! Great to hear their stories and advice. So, on the road finally at 11:00, I bombed to the groups RVP. Had liver and onion in the middle of nowhere on the way which was given to me free by the cafe owner, nice. Er, except that I hate it and I only ate it as I was so hungry! It didn't pass right through me double quick like the two times in the past though, so that's something I guess! After that, got to the camp site, got absolutely mullered eleven times by the vicious mozzies putting up my tent, zipped myself in and stayed there. Great. Decided there and then that I wasn't having it and decided to point my bike the 1000km to Tynda and find a hotel. Steve in our group didn't relish the idea of a week of just crapness either so first thing we were off...

No comments:

Post a Comment