Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Dalton Highway...Day 2






After a well deserved sleep, me BJ and a few other nutters joined the tour bus around an oil refinery. To be fair, as oil refinery tours go it was a little interesting but the main highlight was the swimming session. BJ's thing is swimming. At any opportunity on this trip he's swum when possible in lakes, rivers and seas. This was no exception and even I didn't realise this was on until he whipped out a pair of swimming shorts once finally on the stoney beach! Once he'd finished and I'd laughed at how stupid he was I was getting down to my pants and getting in! Ooooohhh. C-O-L-D it was, so quickly I returned to shore with no towel to put on my dry clothes to make them wet. Much to the ammusement of the other tourists including Sam and Franca (and little Aiden) from Australia who were on a work exchange with a Canadian firefighter and his family.
Once back in the accommodation block, showered, fed and warm we prepared for the 250 mile ride back to the half way point of Coldfoot. So it was off down the Dalton Highway then but this time with time on our side we kept an eye out for wildlife and took loads of pictures and generally larked about. Saw the Muskox, Caribou a little arctic fox and some other stuff that I don't know and made Coldfoot. Coldfoot is basically a truckers stop with a resturant and so with the opportunity to camp within the arctic circle still on out came the tent...Before then though a quick meal and few beers and on the short walk to the tent we observed the Northern Lights which I can only describe as weird. I was a little cold in my $13 sleeping bag but I survived then night. In fact most of the morning as well, as we woke up at 10.30 am!

No comments:

Post a Comment