Thursday, September 3, 2009

Seattle, WA



North America. For a change my seat aboard Korean Air 019 wasn't next to a big fat bloke/infront of chair kicking kids/within screaming baby range so all in all, all good. Decided on a final bit of Korean food for breakfast which turned out to be a mistake. Smelling matey next to me's omlette/sausage/mushroom and beans offering while I chewed on some bland rice/milk/green tea leaves stuff wasn't so good. To be fair though the Korean food did grow on me and I found some fantastic dishes. Occasionally.
Got through US immigration despite quite a bit of questioning over my Iranian visa. Resisted the temptation to explain that I didn't go there as they wouldn't let me at the Iranian border as I had a US stamp from a few years ago. They just don't get it do they? Stayed at an airport 'Best Western' which is very Travel Lodge. What else? Well, oh my god...how fat are these lot? I read somewhere that the national statistic for obese people here is something like 40%. Wrong. Seriously, I'm not sure what the level is for obese but of the hundreds of people I saw there I reckon only about 10% max were not carrying 'more than a few pounds.' Unbelievable. And I soon found out why...during a few meals out I had they were all horrifically calorific. There must be a big eat out culture as well as all the roads are the same - McDonalds, Wal-Mart, closed down second hand car dealers, Pizza Hut, Petrol station and a 'Joe's Diner.' Then the cycle starts again with Burger King replacing McD's and 'Bob's Diner' replacing 'Joe's Diner' and so on.
Des arrived on time and undamaged which was nice seeing as only three of the fifteen bikes arrived on time with the rest arriving the following day. I reassembled him and apart from feeling like I have a giant 50p coin under his front forks and needing a clean it's all good for the long haul to Anchorage, Alaska...

No comments:

Post a Comment