Monday, September 7, 2009

The inside passage and British Colombia, Canada




With Victoria Island behind me I headed north onboard a new and shiney ferry along the famous 'Inside Passage.' I quickly ticked off whale, sea lion and more stunning scenery and got on with reading my new book 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' as well as relaxing to ASOS 405-407. Fifteen hours later I was back on Canadian Soil and the following morning the 2000 odd mile ride north west to Anchorage began. I stayed in a few small settlements including Stewart and Watson Lake but there was so little there to do I just ate, read and slept. Made me wonder why these places are there at all? Maybe something to do with the gold rush? Two things of note though were firstly managing to tick off bear as one was in the road whilst I was riding! Only a little one though and as I slowed and got within thirty meters it wandered off into the bushes. The second was a ride up to 'Salmon Glacier.' This was a 30km ride up a dirt trail that eventually gave a great view of the glacier. Bloody cold though! In fact, the next 600 miles or so since then have been freezing! Currently running at three lower layers and five upper... Oh, and I'm so pleased that I sent my waterproof fleece and wooly hat home yet kept my shorts and flip flops! What was I thinking? Muppet.

No comments:

Post a Comment